Wednesday, August 3, 2011

27 Charcos!!





Hi everyone. So today we went to the 27 Charcos or Waterfalls. Once we got there and bought our tickets, we went into a little hut to get our life jackets and helmets. Then we start the hike to the waterfalls over two rickety bridges. We had two guides named Cecilio and 'Omega'. After a hike through shin high water and over some rocky paths that took 20 'Dominican Minutes' we reached the first waterfall. The first waterfall had a deep, beautiful pool that we swam through before we climed up the waterfall to a ladder going to the next waterfall. We kept going up through 10 other waterfalls and caverns filled with water before taking a rest at a small pool that we jumped into. Then we hiked up a steep hill through the forest. It was beautiful but a bit exhausting. After a long walk through a few smaller waterfalls we reached the 27th. It was gorgeous. We climbed up a rock ledge with a rope and the had to "aim for the middle" and jump off. It was so much fun! Then we started the descent down the waterfalls, sliding down them and jumping off the cliffs into the blue water below. Some of the jumps were not deep enough for diving so our guides told us " Tuck your legs in. Like cannonball." Even when I did that I would hit the bottom of the pool, and slowly float back up. We went through waterfalls both small and big. Some up to 20 feet. The first one that was a really long fall down you got to decide whether you wanted to jump into the pool below or slide down a natural waterslide. Jess, Dad, and I climbed up to the ledge and I had to jump first into the small pool below. You can't hold back, you just have to go, or you'll get hurt, so I just jumped. It felt like I fell forever, and I was just about to scream when I hit water. It shot up my nose and mouth, but I had to get out of the way quick so Jess and Dad could jump. We did a few more waterfalls that were small, and then came to another big one. I don't  think any of us can ever be afraid of anything after doing all those jumps. Coming back went by way too fast and we are definitly going to do this again if we come back. Dad said it was the most exciting thing he had ever done in his whole life, and we all agreed. We had lunch in a little grass hut resturaunt and came out to the parking lot to find one of our guides and four others playing dominos. They all went super fast, and before the other had bareley finished playing, the next would already have a domino slammed on the table. They had one game done in about 2 minuites. I thought it was all very entertaining. Loved today, it was absolutly amazing, anyone who comes to the D.R has to do the 27 waterfalls. Hope all is well at home! Only one week left here. Much love-4js

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Everything you've done so far is so exciting to read about. DR looks like an amazing place both for the preaching work and the beaches & waterfalls. I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete