Thursday, July 14, 2011

Day 3 DR SERVICE

The largest tree in the DR
Today was our first day out in service, and we all got put in different groups! I was with a wonderful older sister from England, I believe her name was Joyce, her husband,Ray, and Dennis, an elder in their hall. We did territory and when you go from house to house you are trying to find all the English speaking people. To do this, you go up to a house's gate (all houses are gated), bang on it with your fist or a rock and yell out "HOLA!" If they come, you say "Hello!" if they look like they might be tourists or foreigners. If they are Dominican, you say "Hola, Ablo English por favor" They will either tell you that they indeed do speak English or do not. If they do, you continue your presentation in English, if they don't, tell them why you are there in Spainish. So that is what we did. I got a Haitian woman who spoke a little English, so I placed a magazine with her. She promised that she would come to the Creole meeting on Sunday! After service, Dennis took the group to his house and I saw the largest tree in Dominican Republic! The roots were huge! I had a very good day in service, and now it is thundering again! It seems to be a weather habit to thunder and lightning around six every day to Thunder and Lightning! I like it very much!  Hope all is well in the states!

Dennis(front)
Ray(back)

Me and Joyce
Jasmine

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you guys are having lots of fun! Service sounds awesome. Love you guys!

    -India

    ReplyDelete